January 10, 2012

A Winter Morning Walk

"I always thought about getting up, going for a run,
and then going to work and it never happened.  
And never, in a million years,
did I think YOU would be the one getting me up!" - Theron


The above quote was said over breakfast this morning by my fiance at our favorite diner after we completed a morning walk before 9:00am.  I should start by explaining that I am not a morning person.  Despite the fact that I have mostly worked morning shifts at work for the better part of the last 5 years has not made getting up in the morning any easier for me.  Instead, I have just perfected my morning routine to the point where I know the exact last minute I can stay in bed each morning and still make it to work on time and in a presentable way.

However, this morning I awoke about 7:00am and my fiance was still asleep.  I gave him a good twenty minutes before I started stirring and eventually he came around to the world of the living.  When he got up, he noticed that I was already dressed for the morning walk we had discussed last night.  I don't think he actually expected that I would be so willingly to venture outdoors considering we had a bit of a light snow last night and temperatures were hovering around freezing.  This did not discourage me and he got ready as well, even if it was a bit begrudgingly at first.

We started our walk by 8:00am and once at the park we followed our usual route and I was able to increase my running time by a minute as I had hoped.  I also noticed that I was laboring less as I did this and felt my body recover a bit easier.  Or it could have just been that my body was thankful to be warmed up!  I have to say that I was surprised because I never knew that your abs were involved in running.  My obliques have talking to me after each workout and I get giddy excited about this.  My core muscles are still in there buried under all that body fat! 

My results from this morning:
6 minutes jogging = 2 Activity Points
44 minutes walking = 5 Activity Points

PS:  And - if you were wondering -  breakfast was a beautiful egg white vegetable omelet with a side of fresh fruit and a slice of toast with jam.



No comments:

Post a Comment